Oysters are one of the most desired seafood, their taste, smell, and texture make them unique. But as important as keeping the oysters in perfect condition before eating is knowing how to clean them properly, as they can spoil this fabulous delicacy. Cleaning oysters is a delicate process and you have to do it calmly, with the right tools, and especially with the technique that we explain below.
You will need to:
- Kitchen rag
- Knife for opening a seafood
- Kitchen knife
You may also be interested in How to open oysters
- To begin cleaning the oysters, you must remove the hairs that cover the entire shell by putting the oysters under a cold water tap, to preserve all the taste, and stretch the hairs to remove them.
- Take the oyster with a kitchen cloth, you must take the oyster in the roundest area of it, leaving the most angular area in the air.
- Insert the special knife to open seafood, just insert it half a centimeter.
- Pass the special knife through the entire opening of the oyster, you will have to hold the oyster well because you will have to use force as it will have to break the adhesions that keep the oyster closed.
- Make a little lever and you will see how the oyster will give way, if it costs, the lever at another point to open the oyster little by little.
- Once the oyster is open you can clean it and serve it comfortably, be careful not to turn it since all the juices from the oyster will fall.
- With a normal kitchen knife, cut the adhesion between the oyster meat and the shell, passing the knife under the oyster.
- You almost have the oyster clean and ready to serve, you just have to put the oyster in an ice base to keep it cold.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to clean oysters, we recommend that you enter our Food and Drink category.
To clean the oysters do not use a normal knife, they are too thin and can break, use a special knife to open shellfish.
Clean the oyster with cold water and do not turn the oysters once opened because it will lose the juice.