Dried fruits provide many advantages that normal fruit does not have, since not only do they keep for longer, but they are also much easier to transport and store. But, in addition, dehydrated fruit preserves a large part of its nutrients and produces a feeling of fullness that normal fruit rarely offers. Indeed, it is not good to abuse dehydrated fruit. They add amounts of sugar to fruits that are generally not so sweet. It is an exquisite option and full of properties to snack between meals and whets your appetite when there are guests.
For all this, we want to explain how to dehydrate mango, a delicious tropical fruit that has high levels of potassium, sodium and zinc and vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6 and B9. Do you want to enjoy this fruit in a more original and tasty way? We discover how to dehydrate mangoes and cook dehydrated mango with chili, a delicious recipe that you cannot miss! Keep reading reheat chicken wings.
How to dehydrate mangoes?
You may have heard of the food dehydrator, an appliance that has the main function of drying fruits, as its name suggests. However, the fruit dehydrator is a rather expensive device with a single function, so it is much cheaper and just as effective to dehydrate fruits in a traditional and homemade way. If you want to learn how to dehydrate baked mango, you will need to get ripe but firm mangoes. You will have to choose the fruits at their ideal point of maturity (not very ripe, not very green).
- Wash the mangoes well, dry them and peel them. No matter what technique you use to dehydrate mango, this step is essential and should always be carried out.
- Cut the mangoes into very thin strips, about 3 millimeters. The thinner the fresh pieces, the crisper they will be afterward.
- Arrange the mango pieces on a tray or rack. Don’t pile them on top of each other and leave space between them to dry properly.
- Bake at 50 ° C or the lowest temperature that your oven allows. The temperature must be constant, as this will achieve uniform drying.
- If your oven has a fan, use it.
- Flip the pieces every 20-30 minutes for about 1-2 hours or more, depending on how you see the result. You’ll know it’s done when the pieces are evenly dry. If you use a rack and your oven can heat up and down, you won’t have to flip the handle.
- After this time, remove the dehydrated mango and wait for it to cool. Let the strips rest at room temperature.
You will only have to store the dehydrated fruit in a sterilized glass jar and store it in a cool, dry and dark place. Check the strips for about a week, and if they’re still damp, repeat the process. When they are crisp, they can be tasted!
How to dehydrate mango in the sun?
If you wonder how to dehydrate mango at home, easily and completely free, this is your option. Dehydrating fruits in the sun is a process that dates back to very ancient times, as it is an effective and very fast technique to enjoy dried foods. We explain how to dehydrate mango in the sun:
- The first thing you have to do is choose quality mangoes during their harvest season. As we have said before, neither very ripe nor very green.
- Wash the mangoes, dry them and peel them. Cut them into very thin slices, as before.
- Place the pieces on a rack, as the air must circulate up and down. If you use a tray, you will have to turn the pieces every 3-5 hours, so we recommend getting a rack. You can also hang the fruit on a string or use a homemade dehydrator.
- Cover the grid with gauze or a mosquito net, which will prevent insects’ appearance on your delicacy.
- The ambient temperature should be approximately 29 ° C. With this in mind. You should know that the mango pieces will dry in 2-4 days, although it will depend on the exact temperature and the slices’ size. When you see that the slices are shrunk and dry evenly, it means that your dehydrated mango is ready.
- Store it in a glass jar and store it in a clean, cool and dry place. Check the pieces for a week and, if you see that they are still a little damp, repeat the drying process.
How to dehydrate mango in the microwave?
Don’t have a food dehydrator and you’re in a bit of a rush? If you are in a rush and don’t have enough time to employ one of the other techniques, you will love this strategy. We explain how to dehydrate mango in the microwave step by step.
- As always, the first step will be to buy quality mangoes that are neither too ripe nor too green.
- Wash the mangoes, dry them and peel them as we have done before.
- Cut the mango into very thin strips (approximately 3 millimeters).
- Arrange the mango strips on a plate, well separated from each other. You will have to leave them for 30-45 minutes. We recommend that you check the process every 10 minutes or so. Use the defrost function. Otherwise, the pieces will burn.
- Once done, let the mango strips cool to room temperature. Then store them in a glass jar and check their condition until they appear crisp and evenly dry.
How to make dehydrated mango with chili?
The combination of dehydrated mango and chili is explosive and delicious. It is a trendy mixture in Mexican cuisine that provides a unique and slightly spicy flavor perfect for the most daring palates. Preparing this dessert is very simple, so below, we explain how to make dehydrated mango with chili step by step … surprise your guests!
- 8 ripe but firm mangoes
- 1 cup chili powder
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- Butter (for greasing)
- Wash the mangoes, dry them and peel them. File the mango and save it for later.
- Take a tray (you can also use a wire rack) and grease it with butter. You can also cover it with wax paper, whichever you prefer.
- Arrange the mango pieces on the tray, leaving space between them.
- Next, add the sugar and lemon juice on the pieces, using a kitchen brush to remove them well.
- Pass the pieces through the chili powder, impregnating them thoroughly.
- Bake the strips at 50 ° C or as low as the oven allows. The temperature must be constant.
- Turn the mango pieces every 20-30 minutes for about 1-2 hours, depending on your oven and the pieces’ thickness. When you see them well dehydrated on both sides, you can remove them from the oven.
- Once ready, put the pieces to cool to room temperature. After a while, spread the dehydrated mangoes again with lemon and chili powder.
- Store the dried fruit pieces in a glass jar and allow them to dry in a cool, dry place completely. You’ll love it!