Losing car keys is one thing that car owners worry about the most. If this has happened to you, you will fully understand that fear. On the contrary, you have managed to avoid this failure. You will still have this feeling constantly because, at any time, it can occur.
To prevent a panic attack when you lose your car keys or leave them inside, you must know how to open your car without keys. There are very useful tricks that will help you open your car with the keys inside and retrieve them or if you have lost them elsewhere, failing that, enter and take it to the workshop to be able to make new ones. If you want to discover how to open your car without keys, we recommend that you continue reading this article to see these methods and tips.
Depending on the moment you lose your car keys or have left them inside the car, having a screwdriver on hand, you can easily open it. With this tool and a steel bar or any similar instrument that fulfills the same function (a rod, for example), you can achieve it. The idea is to create a little space in the door opening with the screwdriver, insert the rod or the bar and, finally, press the lock with it to open the door.
It is a metal object such as the screwdriver. It is possible to damage the exterior and/or interior of the car door. Therefore, be especially careful if you resort to this trick to open the car.
The laces of your shoes are a great ally to open the car if it has doors that open by lifting the locking system. To get it this way, follow these simple steps:
- Tie a small loop through the middle of the shoelaces, tightening it as much as possible.
- Try to manipulate the chain on the car door.
- Pull the locking mechanism located in the lock.
- Pull the laces up again to finish opening the door and accessing the car.
Wire clothes hanger
You will need a wire hook, such as a hanger, to be able to open the car if you lose the keys or in case they stay inside. Follow these steps to do it successfully:
Detangle the wire to stretch the entire piece, except the hook-shaped part itself. This way you can put it inside the weatherstrip located in the window.
- Move the hook until you find the mechanism that the door has to lock.
- Once you notice that it is hooked, pull carefully and the door will open.
- Despite being a trick that you will need to spend some time, with patience, you will manage to open the car door. Also, it has the advantage of working in horizontal locks.
A tennis ball or suction cup to open the car door
Using a tennis ball to open the car door without keys is one of the most popular tricks. The effectiveness of this method is sometimes questioned, we will try to help you achieve it through these steps:
- Punch a hole in the tennis ball. You can do this by heating the tip of a screwdriver with fire so that the hole is well defined and the entire ball does not open.
- Place the ball, placing its hole in the hole of the lock.
- It pushes to create pressure on the ball and introduce pressurized air into the lock.
- This pressure will unlock the car lock and you can open the door without further delay.
The use of an inflatable wedge will help you open the car without causing damage to the paint since you will not use a metal tool in a narrow space, but you will have more space to insert it without rubbing.
- Place the wedge in the hole on the edge of the door.
- Inflate the wedge and it will create pressure and enough room to insert an access tool.
- Keep the wedge well placed and swollen, move the rod, the hanger or the object you have chosen to unlock the door and when you have the safety catch or within reach of this tool, make the movement carefully to open it. Be patient and you will get it.
Another method that resembles that of the inflatable wedge is that of the plastic strip to open the car door without the keys. Any long plastic strip that can be folded can serve you.
- Fold the plastic strip in half.
- Slide it through the slot in the car door.
- Place the loop part of the strap on the latch and pull. This trick is very useful for locks that can be opened by stretching them. On the other hand, if it is a pressure one, it is best to look for a somewhat stiffer plastic to press more easily, instead of pulling.
- As you can see, it is the same method as that of the shoelace, but with a more rigid material and easy to find.
Spatula to pry open the car door
Having a spatula can be enough to open your car without keys. You will have to insert it in the door slot and open space to push the tool that serves to open the safety (cord, strip, wire hanger …). Thus, you should be able to lift the lock and thus access the interior of the car.
If you do not have a spatula at that time, any other object that fulfills that function will serve as a metal lever. Please note that this method can easily damage the car paint.
Lock pick, the tool to open the car door without keys
If you do not know how to open your car without keys when you have lost them, you do not want professional help or you cannot get it at the moment, we recommend you purchase a specific tool to open locks, it is best that you usually carry it by hand. In this sense, the use of a pick (the manual tool used to manipulate mechanical elements of any lock, achieving a keyless opening) will help you achieve this. You will have to place the elements of the pick inside the car door lock door and move them carefully until you open it.
After knowing these methods, we still want to give you a couple more tips for the situations in which you have to open your car without the keys because you have lost them or placed inside the ignition or in a seat.
Even though throughout the article, you will have verified that it is possible to open the car without keys by yourself, sometimes it is impossible to have any of the objects above to achieve it. Besides, nerves and tension also influence and you can end up despairing.
In these cases, don’t worry: call the car assistance provider you have hired to go to the place where you are and help you. However, if you don’t have one, there is still another option.
Using a locksmith or mechanic
Depending on where you are, you could hire the services of the nearest locksmith or mechanic to quickly solve the problem and access your car without keys. The professional will have all the tools and knowledge necessary to open the door without causing any damage to the car.